Friday, January 30, 2015

Power Records Sci-Fi Gift Pack

Here's another Power Records mystery I discovered via a Google image search. It seems as though there were Star Trek, Space: 1999, and Six Million Dollar Man LPs repackaged and sold as a three pack. That makes sense of course, but what's with the custom back cover, seen directly above? Did all three LPs get this new cover? Also, how were they sold--shrinkwrapped together? For some reason I have to know these things!

Unfortunately, these images were not from an eBay auction, otherwise I would have asked the seller a little bit about them. But for now, just these photos will have to do.


3 comments:

Earth 2 Chris said...

Wow, that is awesome! William Shatner, Lee Majors, and Martin Landau all together. The mind boggles.

Chris

Rockwell J. Pugglesworth said...

That is actually my three pack, Rob. I sent you that picture via Facebook a few weeks back. I won that set via eBay auction a couple of years ago just to get the gift pack sleeve with its unique artwork. I also have a superhero themed three pack as well.

The Maya character from the second season of Space 1999 didn't appear in any of the Power Records Space 1999 stories, so it seemed curious she somehow made it onto the gift pack cover. Maybe she was deemed more appealing than Barry Morse? She certainly made it unique.

Anyway, the set came to me used, so I don't know if the entire set would have been shrinkwrapped or just the three individual LPS shrinkwrapped and in the gift pack sleeve. I have the vaguest memory of seeing a three pack for sale in a Children's Palace in Johnson City, TN, when I was a kid - and mostly remembered because my mom wouldn't buy it for me because she recognized that I already had all three of the records in the pack. Details.

But regardless, I'd be happy to send you a better pic of the front of the sleeve and a pic of the back of the sleeve (which isn't quite as interesting as the front).

Scott said...

The second Space:1999 LP (the one included in this three pack) used mostly season two stock photography even though all the stories were from (or set during) season one. It was probably a requirement of the license to use Maya on this cover to promote the "current" season of the show. Or the designer just used the most recent stuff and didn't know or care. It always bugged me that both Maya and Tony Verdeschi were on the back cover of this album and Victor Bergman was nowhere to be found.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...